Friday, January 1, 2010

Fondue!

I had the chance to celebrate New Years Eve in Hagerman with my inlaws again this year. It was fun because I got to watch my father in law play in his band but my favorite part was the fondue.
After a few hours of extensive google research I decided (with the aid of my mother in law) that a simple cheese sauce and a dessert sauce would do the trick. I found the coolest recipe for "any flavor dessert fondue" and I will swear by it always. I am officially in love. Here it is:

Any Flavor Dessert Fondue

1 (16 oz) can of frosting, any flavor. (we made a chocolate one and a coconut pecan one)
1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream

Combine in a small sauce pot on low heat until smooth.
This literally took 5 minutes to make, it is cheap and super easy.
Great, I found another way to gain weight.

What we dipped in the stuff:
Maraschino Cherries
Angel food cake cubes
Banana Slices
Sliced fruit on a tray from costco

Things I have dipped in chocolate before:

Marshmellows
Rice Krispy Squares
Swedish Fish
Lady fingers
Cheesecake squares
Cream puffs

Cheese Fondue (also pretty darn easy!)
4 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
1 can evaporated milk
2 tsp ground mustard (enhances the cheesy flavor)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 -2 cups grated cheese, any kind ( we did some cheddar jack and mozzarella)

Melt butter in a small sauce pan and add and stir/whisk in flour to make a roux. Add milk, salt, and mustard and stir until thickened then stir in cheese. Keep this one warm or it may be a little stringy.

What we dipped in our cheese:
Green and black olives
Pieces of bagel
Cubed leftover steak

What I wish we also had to dip:
Roasted fingerling potatoes
Cubed ham and turkey
Roasted pearl onions
Chunks of steamed tender crisp carrot and broccoli
I never knew fondue was so easy! I found a pot at D.I. for 5 bucks and it came with a warmer and a bunch of sticks. I hope this has converted the people sitting on the fondue fence.

Happy New Year!

-Taci


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers